Thursday, August 4, 2016

When It All Goes Wrong.

The artist who started my painting had something in mind.  Somewhere along the way, the work wasn't turning out as planned.  I wonder what went wrong?

Not everything we do works out as planned.

Not everything we do is good.

Sometimes it's not really any fault of our own, things just don't go as planned.

Sometimes we make bad decisions.

Sometimes we make unwise choices.

Society tells us that we should have things our way.  We should be happy.  We should live free and do whatever we want.  Paul, when writing to the Corinthians, said, "you say everything is permissible, I can do whatever I want... but not everything you do is profitable, not everything you do is beneficial". (Read 1 Corinthians 10:23).

Not all our decisions are good.

Not all our choices are wise.

Not all our ideas work out.

Even the most well thought out plans still don't turn out the way we hoped, dreamed, and wanted, all of the time.

And, when things fail on us, we're ready to give up, throw it away, toss it aside.

We see the blemishes, the scars, the discouragement, the disappointment, the mess, the hurt, and the pain.... and we're done.  Finished.  Walk away.  Give up.

But God sees the good.

God sees what is yet to be.

He is the One who has seen the ending from the beginning.

God is not figuring this thing out as we go along.

He is not waking up in the morning and deciding how to handle today.

He doesn't call a meeting and say ... there's a challenge how are we going to handle it?

He doesn't wring His hands in disgust and say ... I don't know what to do with this one.

"... For I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me.

Declaring the ending from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure.

I have spoken it, I will also bring it to pass; I have purposed it, I will also do it." (Isaiah 46:9-10,11b)

Go back.  Read those verses again.  Let them sink deep into your mind and your heart.

God knows exactly what He started and what the end will be.

"I knew you before I formed  you..." (Jeremiah 1:5).

He's saying to us, "I knew what you would be, what hope you would have, what dreams you would have, what ideas and talents and abilities I placed inside of you".

To me that is a comforting thought... yes!  God knows my future and He has great plans for me.

The real comforting thought though, is this... "I knew what your struggles would be, what your fears would be, what your hurts would be, what your pains and frustrations would be.  All those things you think you need to hide from everyone including me... I already know all about it!  And I love you!"

That, my sweet friends, is the greatest comfort of realizing that God knew us before He formed us!

Before we lived a single day, all our days were recorded in His book. (Psalm 139:16).

When we feel like a hopeless mess, a disaster, we have comfort in knowing that God already knew all of this mess we are in!  And, He knows where to go from here!

He has already seen the ending!

God has not given up on you!  You're just not finished yet!



No comments:

Post a Comment